Primate Knits

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Status of the Christmas Knitting 2007

Honestly. This is so stereotypical of our knitter community it is almost embarrassing. When will I ever really wake up to the fact that, contrary to my normally skeptical self, I can knit a sweater in but a day or two and a pair of socks in but a few hours? And – knowing that every year ends in a gift-giving holiday, and every year I have the best of intentions but sadly overestimate what I can get done – why do I not start holiday knitting in January? Laments aside, here is the list of holiday knitting for this year and the status of each (some good, some.....well, I'm still in self-delusion mode):


One man's pair of socks:


Status: Done! I hope they fit.....

Pattern: Plain Vanilla sock pattern
Yarn: Trekking Pro Natura Wool/bamboo/nylon sock blend
Needles: Size 1
Started: 11/24/07
Finished: 12/12/07

One hat and armwarmers:





Status: Done!

Pattern: Hat – generic mine; Armwarmers - “Hurry up Spring Armwarmers” from SNB Nation
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay in variegated oranges – from stash from a few years ago, which is great!
Needles: Addis size 6 circ.s for hat and size 7 Brittany DPNs for armwarmers
Started: 11/20/07
Finished: 11/23/07

One plain pair women's socks:


Status: Done!

Pattern: Plain vanilla sock pattern
Yarn: Lion Brand Magic Stripes
Needles: size 2
Started: 11/03/07
Finished: 11/21/07

Second pair of women's socks:


Status: 90% done. Only the last toe to finish. This one is easy and will be no problem to finish.

Pattern: Brigit
Yarn: Lang Jawoll sock yarn
Needles: Crystal Palace 1.5 DPNs
Started: 12/08/07
Finished: ------

Third pair of women's socks:

Status: 50% done. First sock done, second sock yet to be finished. Now we see my plans starting to fall apart.....

Pattern: Garter rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks
Yarn: Socka Disco (It's sparkly!)
Needles: Knitpicks 1.5 DPNs
Started: 12/12/07
Finished: ------

I bought this yarn for me.....but it's sparkly. I'm not a sparkly person. Ah, but then Christmas came along, and I had a plan....my mom is a sparkly person. She buys holiday sweaters that light up, flash AND sparkle. Perfect.

Here's where it falls apart; the TO DO list (as of 12/20......uh [*embarrassing cough*] yeah):

Log Cabin Slipper Socks.

Heh heh. Decided last night I was going to do these because I needed one more gift for a girlfriend. I have half a sock #1 done.

Two hats, one for my sis and one for another friend of mine.
My sister's is a must, the other one could be axed if need be.

One more pair of socks
I have little hope here....

So to tally, this is the must stuff that I still need to get done:

  • one toe on the Brigit socks

  • the mate to the sparkly garter rib socks for mom

  • 1.5 log cabin slipper socks (oh – and these need to be felted slightly and have soles sewed on, did I mention that?

  • 1 hat for sis (preferably with some fair isle snowflakes....)

  • One hat and one pair of socks that probably will get axed


As I look at this, I think to myself that this is super easy. I can get this done, no problem. And then I am reminded by the fact that I still have some shopping to finish, none of the knitting is blocked, none of the presents are wrapped, I still haven't sent out seasonal cards, my house is a mess and my niece is coming to stay with us soon, I have baking to do for a few forthcoming holiday parties, and (oh, yeah) there is this whole job thing that I need to be attending to. This seems familiar......

Happy Holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home