Primate Knits

Monday, September 18, 2006

I came to knit socks and chew gum...and I'm all outta gum

Over the summer, I traveled quite a bit. Mostly on business, but my hubby and I also went to see our best friends who live in Connecticut. My travels had one thing in common: in each place I found at least one yarn store. I was mostly sane, with a bit of nuttiness when I found ArtFibers in San Francisco (oh the silk!). While I normally can't justify buying anything that I can find at my LYS, sock yarn tends to be the exception to this. I had a decent sock yarn stash, and had bought a bit here and there over the summer at each place I found. In August I went to Florida to do some research, and was left to my own devices for a week. I found a yarn store in Gainesville, Yarnworks, where the ladies were really nice and they had tons of sock yarn. The longer I stayed and talked with them, the more balls of sock yarn I picked up. On the way back to my hotel one night, I stopped at a craft store that was literally next door to the hotel, and they had lion brand magic stripes sock yarn on clearance for $2.50. Seriously. I bought some for me, some for my girlfriend back home, and some to knit up as gifts. Half of my suitcase was sock yarn. When I got back, my LYS was having a sale on sock yarn for the month of August. Dear Zeus, what's a girl to do? All of this stash acquisition ended up being added to the existing stash, and now looks like this:

It's enough for 40 some odd pairs of socks. And I really want to add some Lorna's and Mountain Colors and Fleece Artist and STR and some plain colors to do fair isle (like for arrgyles), but how can I justify acquiring more, when I have all of this???

Thankfully, I love knitting socks, and I have already knit up four pairs out of this, and have a bunch more that will be going out as Christmas gifts. I love having a stash, but I am a bit overwhelmed and am looking forward to knitting this down. I am much faster at knitting socks than I used to be, but whoa. It's gonna take a while. I am hereby going to pledge that I will reduce this by 25% before I buy more. I think this is reasonable since I am totally going to count the four that I have already done. I think I can resist ( unless I come across Fleece Artist...that is soooo an exception). And just because I have a picture handy, these are the socks that I have knit for myself over the past year:


I have knit this many again for others as gifts. Notice the plain vanilla that I normally use. I do want to start experimenting with more patterns, but I always seem to have other complex projects going on, and plain vanilla is a comfort.

So that's a glimpse at my sock addition. Later we can talk about my warshcloth issues. And--as an added bonus, blogging about the sweaters that haunt me helped. I will have a big FO post coming soon. I guess I did exorcise some of those demons!

2 Comments:

At 3:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had that much sock yarn. I'd leave it out and stare at it all day long. Then I'd get out all my sock patterns and spend the day matching up yarn with patterns. Then I'd change my mind and match them up again. Repeat ad nauseum.

Just enjoy all that yarn! Knitting shouldn't be stressful.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Bad Amy said...

You can always roll around naked in your pile of sock yarn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home